School Counselors help children by...
- Promoting positive attitudes among students toward self, family, peers and community.
- Assisting students in learning how school performance relates to future opportunites.
- Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as decision-making, resolving conflicts and character development.
- Working collaboratively with students, parents, and teachers to identify and remove barriers to learning.
- Supporting students individually and in groups.
- Providing support during personal crises.
- Orienting new students.
School Counselors are the heart of the school by...
- Helping create a saafe school environment where children can learn.
- Coordinating referrals to outside agencies.
- Helping design interventions to enhance student success.
- Developing community partnerships to enhance career awareness.
- Helping teachers create a positive learning environment.
- Helping students learn anger management, conflict resolution, and mediation skills.
- Helping parents, teachers, and administrators in learning how to meet the needs of all students.
The School Counselor will...
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics and standards advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- Participate in professional development activites essential to maintaining a quality school counseling program.