The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, reauthorized by Title X, Part C, of the No Child Left Behind Act, ensures educational rights, and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness.
The act guarantees homeless children and youths the following services:
-the right to immediate enrollment in school, even if lacking appropriate paperwork for registration.
-the right to continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved away from that school's attendance zone or district;
-the right to receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin.
-the right to qualify automatically for Child Nutrition Program (Free and Reduced-Price Lunch and other district food programs);
-the right to participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible.
-the right to attend school with children not experiencing homelessness.
Below is a list of resources you can access:
- The San Antonio Food Bank(SAFB) 210-431-8302 or 210-434-2301
5200 W. U.S. HWY 90 S.A, TX 78227
- Daisy’s Closet and Cupboard- Wed.-Fri (12-6pm) or by appt. call 210-319-5775
5622 W. Cesar Chavez Blvd. S.A, TX 78237
- Catholic Charities Crisis Intervention210-226-6178
1801 W. Durango S.A, TX 78207
- Daughter of Charity210-924-5903
7603 Somerset Rd. S.A, TX 78211
- Bexar County Dept. of Community Resources210-335-6770
233 N. Pecos St. Suite 590 S.A, TX 78207
- St. Peter-St. Joseph Children’s Home210-531-8555
919 Mission Rd. S.A, TX 78210
- Agape Ministry Emergency Assistance Program210-590-6655
127 Lanark S.A, TX 78218
- San Antonio Family Endeavors Inc.210-208-5700
535 Bandera Rd. S.A, TX 78228
- Haven for Hope
One Haven for Hope Way S.A, TX 78207
- Battered Women and Children’s Shelter (Family Violence and Prevention Services Inc.)
7911 Broadway S.A, TX
- Salvation Army Family Shelter-210-352-2000
W. Elmira S.A, TX 78212