South San Antonio I.S.D. is committed to providing support and information for the effective implementation of an RtI Model.
The overall goals of the RtI Department are to:
- Provide high quality, standards-based instruction and intervention that are matched to students' academic, social-emotional, and behavioral needs.
- Provide a variety of educational program services to meet the unique needs of all students and maximize student abilities based on their learning styles and individual needs.
- Accommodate the needs of non-traditional learners within the general education classroom.
- Prepare highly qualified staff to meet and support individual student needs.
- Engage parents in activities and information that provide parental support and positive interactions with staff and campus leadership.
The importance of a universal district/campus RtI process provides:
- A process which supports the classroom teacher and assists in the development of alternative strategies for students experiencing difficulty.
- A process which assists in distinguishing true learning disorders from characteristics of second language acquisition, culture, and other linguistic differences.
- A process which helps to rule out linguistic, cultural, socio-economic, and/or other environmental differences as the primary source of a student’s academic failure.
The benefits of a universal district/campus RtI process will:
- Support students who do not have a disability, but who need instructional support in the regular education program.
- Develop a network of peer support for teachers in the regular education programs.
- Encourage problem-solving as a team, which will provide opportunities for professional growth in needed areas.