What is Identity Theft?
Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal identifying information, without your authorization, in order to perpetrate fraud or other offenses, such as obtaining loans, services or credit.
IdentifyTheft.gov is the federal government's one-stop resource for identity theft victims. The site provides streamlined checklists and sample letter to guide you through the recovery process. Information available consists of:
- Prevention Tips
- Protecting Your Identity
- Know Your Rights
- Sample Letters
- Warning Signs of Identity Theft
- What to Do If Your Information is Lost or Stolen
- Helpful Contact Information
- Create a Personal Recovery Plan
- Browse Recovery Steps
- Identity Theft Articles
- Identity Theft PowerPoint Presentation
- Identity Theft Video
- Free Resources
- Data Breach? Lost Information?
- Much more . . .