Head Start services are available if your family meets the Federal Poverty Guidelines and is a resident of Bexar County.
To see the HHS webpage for the guidelines - Click Here to Access Website
A Point Priority assistance is given to children from low-income families and children with a disability, including a severe
disability. Income eligibility requirements for Head Start may be waived, if your child has a current Individualized Education
The recruitment period for the Head Start program year begins in April this year. Priority placement is given to low-income children and children with disabilities, including severe disabilities. Recruitment events and times vary by Head Start Provider. Families who wish to submit an application will be asked to bring specific documentation to determine eligibility.
The following documents are needed to apply for Head Start services:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Photo ID (parent or guardian registering child) Current/ Valid
3. Immunization/ Shot Record (up to date)
4. Proof of Medical Insurance (Medicaid, CHIP, Private Insurance)
5. Proof of Residency (light, water, lease under parent/ guardian's name)
6. Verification of address (if proof of residency is not in the parent's name)
7. Disability Documentation (IEP from school district and/or paperwork from doctor)
8. Current Income (previous 12 months of income to include: Income Tax 1040, All W2 Forms, last 2 consecutive check stubs, Child Support/ Financial Activity Report, Unemployment, and any other sources of income.
9. Federal Assistance:
- TANF Award Letter ( dated within six months of application date)
- Supplemental Security Income Award Letter ( dated within the application date)
- Foster and Kindship Award Letter (dated within the application date)
10. Physical from physician (up to date or last exam)
11. Dental Exam- (up to date or last exam)
For additional information, please call our Head Start Department at 210-977-7051.